Lacock is a very pretty village in Wiltshire, England. 3 miles (5 km) from the town of Chippenham. The village is owned almost in its entirety by the National Trust, and attracts many visitors by virtue of its unspoiled appearance and historical roots.
The Domesday book mentions Lacock as having a population of 160–190, with a Vineyard and two Mills
Founded on the manorial lands by the Countess of Salisbury Lacock Abbey was established in 1232. During the Middle Ages Lacock was granted a market and developed a thriving wool industry.A pack horse ford and Reybridge was the only crossing points of the River Avon until the 17th century.
At the time of the Dissolution, the estate, Abbey and village were sold to William Sharington. Then later passing to the Talbot family by marriage.
Most of the surviving houses are 18th century or older in construction. There is a medieval church, 14th-century tithe barn and an inn dating from the 15th century as well as n 18th century lock-up.
In 1916 Charles Henry Fox Talbot bequeathed the Lacock estate to his niece, Matilda Gilchrist-Clark, who took the Talbot name. In 1944 the estate was given to the National Trust by Matilda Talbot.